Integration of a rehabilitation robotic system (KARES II) with human-friendly man-machine interaction units
Cited 27 times inCited 32 times in
- Integration of a rehabilitation robotic system (KARES II) with human-friendly man-machine interaction units
- Bien, Zeungnam; Chung, MYUNG-JIN; Chang, PYUNG-HUN; Kwon, DONG-SOO; Kim, DAE-JIN; Han, JEONG-SU; Kim, JAE-HEAN; Kim, DO-HYUNG; Park, HYUNG-SOON; Kang, Sang Hoon; Lee, KYOOBIN; Lim, SOO-CHUL
- Issue Date
- AUTONOMOUS ROBOTS, v.16, no.2, pp.165 - 191
- In this paper, we report some important results of design and evaluation of a wheelchair-based robotic arm system, named as KARES II (KAIST Rehabilitation Engineering Service System II), which is newly developed for the disabled. KARES II is designed in consideration of surveyed necessary tasks for the target users (that is, people with spinal cord injury). At first, we predefined twelve important tasks according to extensive interviews and questionnaires. Next, based on these tasks, all subsystems are designed, simulated and developed. A robotic arm with active compliance and intelligent visual servoing capability is developed by using cable-driven mechanism. Various kinds of human-robot interfaces are developed to provide broad range of services according to the levels of disability. Eye-mouse, shoulder/head interface, EMG signal-based control subsystems are used for this purpose. Besides, we describe the process of integration of our rehabilitation robotic system KARES II, and discuss about user trials. A mobile platform and a wheelchair platform are two main platforms in which various subsystems are installed. For a real-world application of KARES II system, we have performed user trials with six selected potential end-users (with spinal cord injury).
- Appears in Collections:
- MEN_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.