The stress-activated MAP kinase Sty1/Spc1 and a 3 '-regulatory element mediate UV-induced expression of the uvi15+ gene at the post-transcriptional level
Cited 7 times inCited 7 times in
- The stress-activated MAP kinase Sty1/Spc1 and a 3 '-regulatory element mediate UV-induced expression of the uvi15+ gene at the post-transcriptional level
- Kim, M; Lee, W; Park, Jiyoung; Kim, JB; Jang, YK; Seong, RH; Choe, SY; Park, SD
- Issue Date
- OXFORD UNIV PRESS
- NUCLEIC ACIDS RESEARCH, v.28, no.17, pp.3392 - 3402
- Exposure of Schizosaccharomyces pombe cells to UV light results in increased uvi15+ gene expression at both the mRNA and protein levels, leading to elevated cell survival. This UV-induced expression of the uvi15+ gene was reduced in Δsty1 and Δwis1 cells lacking the stress-activated protein kinase pathway, but not in DNA damage checkpoint mutants. To further understand the cellular mechanisms responsible for this UV-induced expression, the transcription rate and mRNA half-life were investigated. Transcription run-on assays revealed that the rate of uvi15+ transcription was increased 1.8-fold regardless of Sty1 when cells were UV irradiated. The half-life of uvi15+ mRNA was also increased 1.5-fold after UV irradiation, but it was decreased in the Δsty1 background for both basal and UV-induced mRNAs, indicating that the stress-activated MAPK cascade can mediate UV-induced gene expression by increasing mRNA half-life. Deletion analyses identified a 54 nt element downstream of the distal poly(A) site, which was involved in the increased half-life of uvi15+ mRNA. These results suggest that both Sty1 and the 3'-regulatory element regulate UV-induced expression of the uvi15+ gene at the post-transcriptional level.
- Appears in Collections:
- BIO_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.