Vibrational dynamics of N-H, C-D, and C = O modes in formamide
Cited 14 times inCited 18 times in
- Vibrational dynamics of N-H, C-D, and C = O modes in formamide
- Ha, JH; Kim, Yung Sam; Hochstrasser, RM
- Correlation decays; Correlation functions
- Issue Date
- AMER INST PHYSICS
- JOURNAL OF CHEMICAL PHYSICS, v.124, no.6, pp.1 - 10
- By means of heterodyned two-dimensional IR photon echo experiments on liquid formamide and isotopomers the vibrational frequency dynamics of the N-H stretch mode, the C-D mode, and the C = O mode were obtained. In each case the vibrational frequency correlation function is fitted to three exponentials representing ultrafast (few femtoseconds), intermediate (hundreds of femtoseconds), and slow (many picoseconds) correlation times. In the case of N-H there is a significant underdamped contribution to the correlation decay that was not seen in previous experiments and is attributed to hydrogen-bond librational modes. This underdamped motion is not seen in the C-D or C = O correlation functions. The motions probed by the C-D bond are generally faster than those seen by N-H and C = O, indicating that the environment of C-D interchanges more rapidly, consistent with a weaker C-D center dot center dot center dot O = C bond. The correlation decays of N-H and C = O are similar, consistent with both being involved in strong H bonding.
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- PHY_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.