Structure of δ-alumina: Toward the atomic level understanding of transition alumina phases
Cited 1 times inCited 0 times in
- Structure of δ-alumina: Toward the atomic level understanding of transition alumina phases
- Kovarik, Libor; Bowden, Mark; Genc, Arda; Szanyi, Ja&#769;nos; Peden, Charles H. F.; Kwak, Jahun
- Issue Date
- AMER CHEMICAL SOC
- JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY C, v.118, no.31, pp.18051 - 18058
- Transition Al2O3 derived from thermal decomposition of AlOOH Boehmite have complex structures and to a large extent remain poorly understood. Here, we report a detailed atomic level analysis of δ-Al 2O3 for the first time using a combination of high-angle annular dark field electron microscopy imaging, X-ray diffraction refinement, and density functional theory calculations. We show that the structure of δ-Al2O3 represents a complex structural intergrowth from two main crystallographic variants, which are identified as δ1-Al2O3 and δ2-Al 2O3. The two main variants are fully structurally described, and in addition, we also derive their energy of formation. On the basis of comparison with other relevant transition Al2O3 phases, it is shown how energetic degeneracy leads to the structural disorder and complex intergrowths among several transition Al2O3. The results of the work have important implications for understanding thermodynamic stability and transformation processes in transition alumina.
- Appears in Collections:
- ECHE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.