Lignin-fueled photoelectrochemical platform for light-driven redox biotransformation
Cited 0 times inCited 0 times in
- Lignin-fueled photoelectrochemical platform for light-driven redox biotransformation
- Wang, Ding; Lee, Sahng Ha; Han, Seunghyun; Kim, Jinhyun; Trang, Nguyen Vu Thien; Kim, Kayoung; Choi, Eun-Gyu; Boonmongkolras, Passarut; Lee, Yang Woo; Shin, Byungha; Kim, Yong Hwan; Park, Chan Beum
- Issue Date
- ROYAL SOC CHEMISTRY
- GREEN CHEMISTRY, v.22, no.15, pp.5151 - 5160
- The valorization of lignin has significant potential in producing commodity chemicals and fuels from renewable resources. However, the catalytic degradation of lignin is kinetically challenging and often requires noble metal catalysts to be used under harsh and toxic conditions. Here, we report the bias-free, solar reformation of lignin coupled with redox biotransformation in a tandem structure of a BiVO(4)photoanode and perovskite photovoltaic. The tandem structure compensates for the potential gap between lignin oxidation and biocatalytic reduction through artificialZ-schematic absorption. We found that the BiVO4-catalyzed photoelectrochemical oxidation of lignin facilitated the fragmentation of higher molecular weight lignin into smaller carboxylated aliphatic and aromatic acids. Lignin oxidation induced photocurrent generation at the photoanode, which enabled efficient electroenzymatic reactions at the cathode. This study successfully demonstrates the oxidative valorization of lignin as well as biocatalytic reductions (e.g., CO2-to-formate and alpha-ketoglutarate-to-l-glutamate) in an unbiased biocatalytic PEC platform, which provides a new strategic approach for photo-biocatalysis using naturally abundant renewable resources.
- Appears in Collections:
- ECHE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.