Spatial distribution of HfBi in metallurgically and electrochemically formed Bi-Hf alloy
Cited 0 times inCited 0 times in
- Spatial distribution of HfBi in metallurgically and electrochemically formed Bi-Hf alloy
- Sohn, Sungjune; Jeong, Gwan Yoon; Hur, Jungho; Jeong, Seongjin; Park, Jaeyeong; Hwang, Il Soon
- Issue Date
- ELSEVIER SCIENCE SA
- JOURNAL OF ALLOYS AND COMPOUNDS, v.790, pp.772 - 782
- This study presents the spatial distribution of HfBi intermetallic compound in Bi-Hf alloy formed by potentiostatic electrodeposition to investigate the feasibility of density-based separation between Zr and Hf in liquid Bi phase. Prior to electrochemical alloy formation, four Bi-Hf alloys were produced metallurgically with the consideration of the Hf concentration in the alloy and the mixing effect on the liquid Bi. Then electrochemical behaviors of HfCl4 in LiCl-KCl was investigated by cyclic voltammetry (CV) using tungsten and Bi coated electrode at 500 °C. The apparent reduction potential and diffusion coefficient were calculated by determination of reversibility for single redox Hf4+/Hf reaction. Two Bi-Hf alloys were produced by potentiostatic electrodeposition in LiCl-KCl-HfCl4/Bi system at 500 °C. Applied cathodic potential of −1.1 V vs. Ag/AgCl 1 wt % was determined from the CV results. The spatial distribution of intermetallic compound was obtained on the vertical cross section of Bi-Hf alloys. HfBi phase was characterized by SEM-EDS and XRD analysis. It is identified that HfBi was clearly formed and precipitated in the bottom of the Bi-Hf alloy during the electrodeposition, supporting the possibility of the separation of Hf from Zr by their density differences.
- Appears in Collections:
- MNE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.