Kinetics of Zn2+-induced Brain Type Creatine Kinase Unfolding and Aggregation
Cited 8 times inCited 8 times in
- Kinetics of Zn2+-induced Brain Type Creatine Kinase Unfolding and Aggregation
- Other Titles
- Kinetics of Zn2+ -induced Brain Type Creatine Kinase Unfolding and Aggregation.
- Mu, Hang; Lue, Zhi-Rong; Park, Daeui; Kim, Byoung-Chul; Bhak, Jong Hwa; Zou, Fei; Yang, Jun-Mo; Li, Sen; Park, Yong-Doo; Zou, He-Chang; Zhou, Hai-Meng
- Creatine kinase; Brain-type; Zn2+; Folding; Aggregation
- Issue Date
- HUMANA PRESS INC
- APPLIED BIOCHEMISTRY AND BIOTECHNOLOGY, v.160, no.5, pp.1309 - 1320
- We studied the effect of Zn2+ on the folding and aggregation of brain creatine kinase (CK-BB). We developed a method to purify CK-BB from rabbit brain and conducted inhibition kinetics and unfolding studies of CK-BB. Zn2+ conspicuously aggregated and osmolytes, such as glycine and proline, were able to suppress the formation of aggregates and protect the enzymatic activity against Zn2+. These results suggest that Zn2+ might act as a risk factor for CK-BB in the brain under certain conditions, and some osmolytes may help CK-BB to sustain the active state when Zn2+ is present. Our study provides useful information regarding the effect of Zn2+ on brain-derived metabolic enzymes, especially those that are putatively related to brain disease. Furthermore, our study suggests that although Zn2+ may induce CK-BB inactivation and misfolding, the ability of some abundant proteins and osmolytes to chelate Zn2+ nonspecifically may protect CK-BB and allow it to exist in the active form
- Appears in Collections:
- BME_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.