Turbulent boundary layers over rod- and cube-roughened walls
Cited 2 times inCited 0 times in
- Turbulent boundary layers over rod- and cube-roughened walls
- Lee, Jae Hwa; Seena, Abu; Lee, Seung-hyun; Sung, Hyung Jin
- Boundary layer structure; Turbulence simulation; Turbulent boundary layers
- Issue Date
- TAYLOR & FRANCIS LTD
- JOURNAL OF TURBULENCE, v.13, no.40, pp.1 - 26
- Direct numerical simulations (DNSs) of spatially developing turbulent boundary layers (TBLs) over two-dimensional (2D) rod-roughened walls and three-dimensional (3D) cube-roughened walls were performed to investigate the effects of the streamwise spacing of roughness elements on the properties of the TBLs. The inspection of the Reynolds stresses showed that except for the 2D rough walls with px/k = 2 and 3, the effects of the roughness on the 2D and 3D rough walls extend to the outer layer and that themagnitude of the Reynolds stresses in the outer layer increases in proportional to px/k. However, such results do not account for the variations with px/k in the form drag and roughness function, which have maximum values at px/k = 8 and 4 for the 2D and 3D rough walls, respectively. Finally, we examined turbulent structure through instantaneous analysis, linear stochastic estimation, and dynamic mode decomposition to the time-evolving flow fields to scrutinize the spatial organization of the outer-layer structures over several different rough walls.
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- MEN_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.