Statistics of the turbulent boundary layers over 3D cube-roughened walls
Cited 0 times inCited 0 times in
- Statistics of the turbulent boundary layers over 3D cube-roughened walls
- Ahn, Junsun; Lee, Jae Hwa; Sung, Hyung Jin
- Boundary layer structure; Direct numerical simulation; Surface roughness; Turbulent boundary layers
- Issue Date
- ELSEVIER SCIENCE INC
- INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HEAT AND FLUID FLOW, v.44, no., pp.394 - 402
- Direct numerical simulations (DNSs) of turbulent boundary layers (TBLs) over three-dimensional (3D) cube-roughened walls were performed and the turbulent characteristics in the inner and outer layers were statistically analyzed. The spanwise spacing was varied over pz/. k= 2, 3, 4, and 6 (pz is the spanwise spacing between cubes and k is the height of the roughness) to examine the effects of the roughness spacing on the TBLs. The form drag (Cp) reached a maximum at pz/. k= 3, whereas the skin-friction drag (Cf) reached a minimum at the same extent. The Reynolds stresses in the outer region were shown to increase with increasing pz/. k, and similar behavior was observed in the wall-normal velocity fluctuations at the roughness crest (vw+). The properties of the turbulence in the inner and outer layers were found to be well represented by the roughness density (λp).
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- MEN_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.