Quantum reflection of helium atom beams from a microstructured grating
Cited 12 times inCited 9 times in
- Quantum reflection of helium atom beams from a microstructured grating
- Zhao, Bum Suk; Schulz, Stephan A.; Meek, Samuel A.; Meijer, Gerard; Schoellkopf, Wieland
- Issue Date
- AMER PHYSICAL SOC
- PHYSICAL REVIEW A, v.78, no.1
- We observe high-resolution diffraction patterns of a thermal-energy helium atom beam reflected from a microstructured surface grating at grazing incidence. The grating consists of 10-μm -wide Cr strips patterned on a quartz substrate and has a periodicity of 20 μm. Fully resolved diffraction peaks up to the seventh order are observed at grazing angles up to 20 mrad. With changes in de Broglie wavelength or grazing angle the relative diffraction intensities show significant variations which shed light on the nature of the atom-surface interaction potential. The observations are explained in terms of quantum reflection at the long-range attractive Casimir-van der Waals potential.
- Appears in Collections:
- CHM_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.