Global and local buckling of a sandwich beam
Cited 7 times inCited 0 times in
- Global and local buckling of a sandwich beam
- Ji, Wooseok; Waas, Anthony M.
- sandwich structures; axial compression; elasticity; finite elements; beams
- Issue Date
- ASCE-AMER SOC CIVIL ENGINEERS
- JOURNAL OF ENGINEERING MECHANICS-ASCE, v.133, no.2, pp.230 - 237
- A two-dimensional mechanical model is developed to predict the global and local buckling of a sandwich beam, using classical elasticity. The face sheet and the core are assumed as linear elastic isotropic continua in a state of planar deformation. The core is assumed to have two deformation modes: antisymmetrical and symmetrical with respect to the core geometric midplane. Characteristics of the two deformation modes and the corresponding buckling behavior are shown and it appears that they are identical when the buckling wavelength is short. The present analysis is compared with various previous analytical studies and corresponding experimental results. On the basis of the model developed here, validation and accuracy of several previous theories are discussed for different geometric and material properties of a sandwich beam. The results presented in this paper, verified through finite-element analysis and experiment, are an accurate prediction of the overall buckling behavior of a sandwich beam, for a wide range of material and geometric parameters.
- Appears in Collections:
- MEN_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.