Accurate buckling load calculations of a thick orthotropic sandwich panel
Cited 4 times inCited 0 times in
- Accurate buckling load calculations of a thick orthotropic sandwich panel
- Ji, Wooseok; Waas, Anthony M.
- Sandwich; Mechanical properties; Computational mechanics; Anisotropy; Sandwich structures
- Issue Date
- ELSEVIER SCI LTD
- COMPOSITES SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, v.72, no.10, pp.1134 - 1139
- This paper is concerned with the buckling of thick sandwich panels with orthotropic elastic face sheets bonded to a linear elastic orthotropic core. When such panels are analyzed for axial load carrying capacity, it is now commonplace to adopt the finite element method to carry out computations. The accuracy of the numerical results will depend not only on roundoff and algorithmic errors, but additionally on the approximations made in computing the incremental (second order) work associated in computing the change of configuration from the unbuckled to the buckled state. Here we show that, particularly for orthotropic thick sandwich structures, large errors can be incurred in computing buckling loads with available commercial software, unless the proper work conjugate measures of stress and strain with their stress-dependent tangential moduli are used in the buckling formulation. (C) 2012 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
- Appears in Collections:
- MEN_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.