Synthesis and characterization of a ferric complex of the tripodal ligand tris(2-benzimidazolylmethyl)amine - a superoxide dismutase mimic
Cited 20 times inCited 0 times in
- Synthesis and characterization of a ferric complex of the tripodal ligand tris(2-benzimidazolylmethyl)amine - a superoxide dismutase mimic
- Kwak, Byunghoon; Cho, Ki Woong; Pyo, Myungho; Lah, Myoung Soo
- iron complexes; tripodal amine complexes; superoxide radical; superoxide dismutase
- Issue Date
- ELSEVIER SCIENCE SA
- INORGANICA CHIMICA ACTA, v.290, no.1, pp.21 - 27
- The mononuclear iron complex 1 was synthesized using a tripedal ligand, tris(2-benzimidazolylmethyl) amine (ntb), where ntb served as a neutral tetradentate chelating ligand for the distorted octahedral ferric ion. Three benzimidazole groups of ntb and one chloride anion formed a base of octahedral geometry. One of the two axial positions was occupied by an apical nitrogen atom of ntb and the other site was occupied by another chloride anion. Two of the chloride anions in complex 1 are in a cis arrangement. The decay of the electrochemically generated superoxide radical (O-2(-)) by complex 1 was observed using cyclic voltammetry. The superoxide dismutase (SOD) activity of complex 1 was also examined using a modified method of the light- and riboflavin-driven hydroxylaminenitrate assay. Reaction of complex 1 with an O-2(-) radical in methanol gave the mu-oxo dinuclear iron complex 2. The mu-oxo group was substituted for the basal chloride anion of complex 1 in complex 2. Complex 2 could also be synthesized using weak bases instead of the O-2(-) radical.
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- PHY_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.