Electron kinetic effects on raman backscatter in plasmas
Cited 28 times inCited 25 times in
- Electron kinetic effects on raman backscatter in plasmas
- Hur, Min Sup; Lindberg, RR; Charman, AE; Wurtele, JS; Suk, H
- Electron kinetic effects; Langmuir waves; Ponderomotive phase; Raman backscatter (RBS)
- Issue Date
- AMERICAN PHYSICAL SOC
- PHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS, v.95, no.11, pp.1 - 4
- We augment the usual three-wave cold-fluid equations governing Raman backscatter (RBS) with a new kinetic thermal correction, proportional to an average of particle kinetic energy weighted by the ponderomotive phase. From closed-form analysis within a homogeneous kinetic three-wave model and ponderomotively averaged kinetic simulations in a more realistic pulsed case, the magnitude of these new contributions is shown to be a measure of the dynamical detuning between the pump laser, seed laser, and Langmuir wave. Saturation of RBS is analyzed, and the role of trapped particles illuminated. Simple estimates show that a small fraction of trapped particles (similar to 6%) can significantly suppress backscatter. We discuss the best operating regime of the Raman plasma amplifier to reduce these deleterious kinetic effects.
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- PHY_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.