(n, N) type maintenance policy for multi-component systems with failure interactions
Cited 1 times inCited 0 times in
- (n, N) type maintenance policy for multi-component systems with failure interactions
- Zhang, Z.; Wu, S.; Li, B.; Lee, Seungchul
- failure interaction; maintenance policy; Markov decision processes; multi-component system; opportunistic maintenance
- Issue Date
- TAYLOR & FRANCIS LTD
- INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF SYSTEMS SCIENCE, v.46, no.6, pp.1051 - 1064
- This paper studies maintenance policies for multi-component systems in which failure interactions and opportunistic maintenance (OM) involve. This maintenance problem can be formulated as a Markov decision process (MDP). However, since an action set and state space in MDP exponentially expand as the number of components increase, traditional approaches are computationally intractable. To deal with curse of dimensionality, we decompose such a multi-component system into mutually influential single-component systems. Each single-component system is formulated as an MDP with the objective of minimising its long-run average maintenance cost. Under some reasonable assumptions, we prove the existence of the optimal (n, N) type policy for a single-component system. An algorithm to obtain the optimal (n, N) type policy is also proposed. Based on the proposed algorithm, we develop an iterative approximation algorithm to obtain an acceptable maintenance policy for a multi-component system. Numerical examples find that failure interactions and OM pose significant effects on a maintenance policy.
- Appears in Collections:
- DHE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.