Kinetics of esterification of lactic acid with methanol in the presence of cation exchange resin using a pseudo-homogeneous model
Cited 25 times inCited 27 times in
- Kinetics of esterification of lactic acid with methanol in the presence of cation exchange resin using a pseudo-homogeneous model
- Seo, Yongwon; Hong, WH
- Cation exchange resin; Esterification; Lactic acid; Methanol; Pseudo-homogeneous model
- Issue Date
- SOC CHEMICAL ENG JAPAN
- JOURNAL OF CHEMICAL ENGINEERING OF JAPAN, v.33, no.1, pp.128 - 133
- The kinetics of esterification of lactic acid with methanol in the liquid phase are studied by using a cation exchange resin in the H+ form (DOWEX-50W) as an acid catalyst. Experiments were carried out in a stirred batch reactor at different temperatures (323, 333, 343, 353 K) under atmospheric pressure, The effects of reaction temperature and catalyst loading on the reaction rate are investigated, It is found that catalyst size and stirring speed have no significant effects on reaction fate. The reaction rate data are correlated with a kinetic model based on pseudo-homogeneous catalysis. The activity of resin is compared with that of sulfuric acid as a catalyst. A kinetic equation for describing the reaction catalyzed by cation exchange resin is developed.
- Appears in Collections:
- UEE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.