Safe Navigation of a Mobile Robot Considering Visibility of Environment
Cited 17 times inCited 26 times in
- Safe Navigation of a Mobile Robot Considering Visibility of Environment
- Chung, Woojin; Kim, Seokgyu; Choi, Minki; Choi, Jaesik; Kim, Hoyeon; Moon, Chang-bae; Song, Jae-Bok
- Mobile robot navigation; Obstacle avoidance; Path planning; Speed control
- Issue Date
- IEEE-INST ELECTRICAL ELECTRONICS ENGINEERS INC
- IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON INDUSTRIAL ELECTRONICS, v.56, no.10, pp.3941 - 3950
- We present one approach to achieve safe navigation in an indoor dynamic environment. So far, there have been various useful collision avoidance algorithms and path planning schemes. However, those algorithms possess fundamental limitations in that the robot can avoid only "visible"ones among surrounded obstacles. In a real environment, it is not possible to detect all the dynamic obstacles around the robot. There are many occluded regions due to the limited field of view. In order to avoid collisions, it is desirable to exploit visibility information. This paper proposes a safe navigation scheme to reduce collision risk considering occluded dynamic obstacles. The robot's motion is controlled by the hybrid control scheme. The possibility of collision is dually reflected to path planning and speed control. The proposed scheme clearly indicates the structural procedure on how to model and to exploit the risk of navigation. The proposed scheme is experimentally tested in a real office building. The experimental results show that the robot moves along the safe path to obtain sufficient field of view. In addition, safe speed constraints are applied in motion control. It is experimentally verified that a robot safely navigates in dynamic indoor environment by adopting the proposed scheme.
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- EE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.