A Simple Regularizer for B-spline Nonrigid Image Registration That Encourages Local Invertibility
Cited 26 times inCited 29 times in
- A Simple Regularizer for B-spline Nonrigid Image Registration That Encourages Local Invertibility
- Chun, Se Young; Fessler, Jeffrey A.
- B-splines; Local invertibility sufficient conditions; Nonrigid image registration; Penalty method; Thorax CT images
- Issue Date
- IEEE-INST ELECTRICAL ELECTRONICS ENGINEERS INC
- IEEE JOURNAL OF SELECTED TOPICS IN SIGNAL PROCESSING, v.3, no.1, pp.159 - 169
- Non rigid image registration is an important task for many medical imaging applications. In particular, for radiation oncology it is desirable to track respiratory motion for thoracic cancer treatment. B-splines are convenient for modeling nonrigid deformations, but ensuring invertibility can be a challenge. This paper describes sufficient conditions for local invertibility of deformations based on B-spline bases. These sufficient conditions can be used with constrained optimization to enforce local invertibility. We also incorporate these conditions into nonrigid image registration methods based on a simple penalty approach that encourages diffeomorphic deformations. Traditional Jacobian penalty methods penalize negative Jacobian determinant values only at grid points. In contrast, our new method enforces a sufficient condition for invertibility directly on the deformation coefficients to encourage invertibility globally over a 3-D continuous domain. The proposed penalty approach requires substantially less compute time than Jacobian penalties per iteration.
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- EE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.