Rate-distortion optimized compression and view-dependent transmission of 3-D normal meshes
Cited 11 times inCited 18 times in
- Rate-distortion optimized compression and view-dependent transmission of 3-D normal meshes
- Sim, Jae-Young; Kim, CS; Kuo, CCJ; Lee, SU
- Issue Date
- IEEE-INST ELECTRICAL ELECTRONICS ENGINEERS INC
- IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON CIRCUITS AND SYSTEMS FOR VIDEO TECHNOLOGY, v.15, no.7, pp.854 - 868
- A unified approach to rate-distortion (R-D) optimized compression and view-dependent transmission of three-dimensional (3-D) normal meshes is investigated in this work. A normal mesh is partitioned into several segments, which are then encoded independently. The bitstream of each segment is truncated optimally using a geometry distortion model based on the subdivision hierarchy. It is shown that the proposed compression algorithm yields a higher coding gain than the conventional algorithm. Moreover, to facilitate interactive transmission of 3-D data according to a client's viewing position, the server can allocate an adaptive bitrate to each segment based on its visibility priority. Simulation results demonstrate that the view-dependent transmission technique can reduce the bandwidth requirement considerably, while maintaining a good visual quality.
- Appears in Collections:
- AI_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.