Deriving grain boundary character distributions and relative grain boundary energies from three-dimensional EBSD data
Cited 32 times inCited 31 times in
- Deriving grain boundary character distributions and relative grain boundary energies from three-dimensional EBSD data
- Rohrer, G. S.; Li, J.; Lee, Sukbin; Rollett, A. D.; Groeber, M.; Uchic, M. D.
- EBSD; Grain boundaries; Grain boundary energy; Serial sectioning; Superalloy; Three-dimensional microstructure
- Issue Date
- MANEY PUBLISHING
- MATERIALS SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, v.26, no.6, pp.661 - 669
- Three-dimensional electron backscatter diffraction data, obtained by serial sectioning a nickel-base superalloy, has been analysed to measure the geometric arrangement of grain boundary planes at triple junctions. This information has been used to calculate the grain boundary character distribution (GBCD) and the grain boundary energy distribution (GBED). The twin content from the three-dimensional GBCD calculation compares favourably with the twin content estimated by stereology. Important factors in the analysis are the alignment of the parallel layers, the ratio of the out-of-plane to in-plane spacing of the discrete orientation data and the discretisation of the domain of grain boundary types. The results show that grain boundaries comprised of (111) planes occur most frequently and that these grain boundaries have a relatively low energy. The GBCD and GBED are inversely correlated.
- Appears in Collections:
- MSE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.