Effective indenter radius and frame compliance in instrumented indentation testing using a spherical indenter
Cited 9 times inCited 11 times in
- Effective indenter radius and frame compliance in instrumented indentation testing using a spherical indenter
- Kang, Seung-Kyun; Kim, Ju-Young; Kang, Ingeun; Kwon, Dongil
- Contact depth; Effective indenter; Hardness and elastic modulus; Indentation depth; Indenters; Instrumented indentation testing; Novel methods; Representative stress; Spherical indenters
- Issue Date
- CAMBRIDGE UNIV PRESS
- JOURNAL OF MATERIALS RESEARCH, v.24, no.9, pp.2954 - 2973
- We introduce a novel method to correct for imperfect indenter geometry and frame compliance in instrumented indentation testing with a spherical indenter. Effective radii were measured directly from residual indentation marks at various contact depths (ratio of contact depth to indenter radius between 0.1 and 0.9) and were determined as a function of contact depth. Frame compliance was found to depend on contact depth especially at small indentation depths, which is successfully explained using the concept of an extended frame boundary. Improved representative stress-strain values as well as hardness and elastic modulus were obtained over the entire contact depth.
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- MSE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.