Simple electro-tunable optical diode using photonic and anisotropic liquid crystal films
Cited 18 times inCited 18 times in
- Simple electro-tunable optical diode using photonic and anisotropic liquid crystal films
- Song, Myoung Hoon; Park, B; Takanishi, Y; Ishikawa, K; Nishimura, S; Toyooka, T; Takezoe, H
- Anisotropic; Cholesteric liquid crystals; Non-reciprocal transmission; Optical diode; Phase retardation
- Issue Date
- ELSEVIER SCIENCE SA
- THIN SOLID FILMS, v.509, no.1-2, pp.49 - 52
- We have experimentally demonstrated the optical diode performance in a two-layered device consisting of a cholesteric liquid crystal (CLC) film with a right-handed helical structure and a nematic liquid crystal (NLC) layer as a phase retarder of a half wave. Right-circularly polarized (RCP) light of the wavelength the same as the optical pitch of the helix is totally reflected by the CLC film when the light is incident from the CLC film side. On the other hand, if the incidence is made from the NLC side, RCP is transformed to left-circularly polarized (LCP) light and is then passed through the CLC film. Not only such an optical diode performance, i.e., unidirectional propagation (non-reciprocal transmission), but also its electro-tunability was also shown. The transmittance can be essentially tuned between 0% and 100%.
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- MSE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.