Atomistic simulations of incipient plasticity under A1(111) nanoindentation
Cited 51 times inCited 49 times in
- Atomistic simulations of incipient plasticity under A1(111) nanoindentation
- Lee, Youngmin; Park, Jong Youn; Kim, Sung Youb; Jun, Sukky; Im, Seyoung
- Dislocation-loop glide; Homogeneous dislocation nucleation; Incipient plasticity; Molecular dynamics; Molecular mechanics; Nanoindentation
- Issue Date
- ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV
- MECHANICS OF MATERIALS, v.37, no.10, pp.1035 - 1048
- Atomistic simulations are performed for the study of defect nucleation and evolution in Al single crystal under nanoindentation. Methodologies employed include the molecular dynamics and molecular mechanics simulations with embedded-atom potentials. Simulated is the indenting process on Al(1 1 1) surface with the spherical tip of indenter. Using the visualization technique of centrosymmetry parameters, homogeneous nucleations and early evolutions of dislocations are investigated for deepening our understanding of incipient plasticity at the atomic scale. We have shown that the nucleation sites of initial dislocation loops vary with the empirical potentials chosen for the simulation. Identifications are also made for the continuously changing structures of dislocation locks underneath the indenter tip and for the glide of prismatic partial dislocation loops far away from the contact surface.
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- MEN_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.