Characteristic boundary conditions for simulations of compressible reacting flows with multi-dimensional, viscous and reaction effects
Cited 67 times inCited 73 times in
- Characteristic boundary conditions for simulations of compressible reacting flows with multi-dimensional, viscous and reaction effects
- Yoo, Chun Sang; Im, H. G.
- Issue Date
- TAYLOR & FRANCIS LTD
- COMBUSTION THEORY AND MODELLING, v.11, no.2, pp.259 - 286
- A generalized formulation of the characteristic boundary conditions for compressible reacting flows is proposed. The new and improved approach resolves a number of lingering issues of spurious solution behaviour encountered in turbulent reacting flow simulations in the past. This is accomplished (a) by accounting for all the relevant terms in the determination of the characteristic wave amplitudes and (b) by accommodating a relaxation treatment for the transverse gradient terms with the relaxation coefficient properly determined by the low Mach number asymptotic expansion. The new boundary conditions are applied to a comprehensive set of test problems including: vortex-convection; turbulent inflow; ignition front propagation; non-reacting and reacting Poiseuille flows; and counterflow cases. It is demonstrated that the improved boundary conditions perform consistently superior to existing approaches, and result in robust and accurate solutions with minimal acoustic wave interactions at the boundary in hostile turbulent combustion simulation conditions.
- Appears in Collections:
- MEN_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.