Force modeling of micro-grinding incorporating crystallographic effects
Cited 13 times inCited 17 times in
- Force modeling of micro-grinding incorporating crystallographic effects
- Park, Hyung Wook; Liang, Steven Y.
- Crystallographic effect; Micro-grinding; Micro-grinding wheel topography; Thermal effect
- Issue Date
- ELSEVIER SCI LTD
- INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MACHINE TOOLS & MANUFACTURE, v.48, no.15, pp.1658 - 1667
- Micro-grinding with small-scale grinding wheels is a micro-machining process in precision manufacturing of miniature part features such as those in micro sensors and micro actuators. Modeling of micro-grinding is necessary to understand the effects of process conditions, micro-grinding wheel properties, and material microstructure on the integrity of the parts produced, thereby allowing for process planning, optimization, and control. In this paper, a predictive model for the micro-grinding process was developed by combined consideration of mechanical and thermal effects within a single grit interaction model at the microscale level of material removal while the size effect of micro-machining was incorporated. To assess the thermal effects, a heat transfer model based on the moving heat source analysis is integrated into the developed model. This model quantitatively predicts micro-grinding forces based on micro-grinding wheel topography and material properties including crystallographic effects. Experimental testing in a micro-grinding configuration has been pursued to validate the predictive model by comparing measurements to analytical calculations in the context of orthogonal micro-grinding forces. The analytical model is seen to capture the main trend of the experimental results, while smaller deviations were found over larger depths of cut range.
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- MEN_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.