A generalized Hamiltonian-based algorithm for rigorous equilibrium molecular dynamics simulation in the isobaric-isothermal ensemble
Cited 12 times inCited 12 times in
- A generalized Hamiltonian-based algorithm for rigorous equilibrium molecular dynamics simulation in the isobaric-isothermal ensemble
- Keffer, D. J.; Baig, Chunggi; Adhangale, P.; Edwards, B. J.
- Hamiltonian; Isobaric-isothermal ensemble; Molecular dynamics; NpT
- Issue Date
- TAYLOR & FRANCIS LTD
- MOLECULAR SIMULATION, v.32, no.5, pp.345 - 356
- In this work, we employ a Hamiltonian-based procedure to derive a generalized Nose barostat, which generates trajectories that rigorously satisfy the statistical mechanical isobaric-isothermal (NpT) ensemble. This generalized algorithm, unlike Nose's original NpT algorithm, maintains rigor in the presence of (i) a non-zero system momentum and (ii) non-negligible external forces. The generalized algorithm reduces to the conventional Nose NpT algorithm when neither condition is satisfied. The key element of the generalized algorithm is that the thermostat and barostat are applied only to those degrees of freedom that contribute to the temperature and pressure, which excludes, e.g. the total system momentum. We show that the generalized algorithm satisfies the two criteria for rigor (Hamiltonian and non-Hamiltonian) that exist in the literature. Finally, we provide some numerical examples demonstrating the success of the generalized algorithm.
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- ECHE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.