Poly(2,7-phenanthrylene)s and poly(3,6-phenanthrylene)s as polyphenylene and poly(phenylenevinylene) analogues
Cited 42 times inCited 41 times in
- Poly(2,7-phenanthrylene)s and poly(3,6-phenanthrylene)s as polyphenylene and poly(phenylenevinylene) analogues
- Yang, Changduk; Scheiber, Horst; List, Emil J. W.; Jacob, Josemon; Muellen, Klaus
- LIGHT-EMITTING-DIODES; CONJUGATED POLYMERS; SOLUBLE POLY(PARA-PHENYLENE)S; COMMON INTERMEDIATE; SIDE-CHAINS; ELECTROLUMINESCENCE; POLYFLUORENE; EMISSION; POLY(P-PHENYLENE); POLYTHIOPHENES
- Issue Date
- AMER CHEMICAL SOC
- MACROMOLECULES, v.39, no.16, pp.5213 - 5221
- The synthesis of a series of soluble poly(2,7-phenanthrylene)s and poly(3,6-phenanthrylene)s is presented. Depending on the nature of the repeat units they constitute analogues of poly(p-phenylene) (PPP) and poly(p-phenylenevinylene) (PPV) and thus should give rise to different modes of extended π-conjugation. In the case of the 9,10-dialkyl-substituted poly(2,7-phenanthrylene) and poly(3,6-phenanthrylene), spectroscopic characterization suggests polymer aggregation in the solid state, which can be efficiently suppressed by the introduction of aryl substituents to result in a narrow blue emission. The 2,7- or 3,6-coupling of the phenanthrenes has a strong influence on the emission properties of the polymers. The PPP analogue shows less vibronic coupling in emission due to the rigid-rod nature of the polymer as compared to the PPV analogue. Moreover, the photoinduced absorption features of the 2,7-linked derivatives are similar to PPP-type polymers, whereas the 3,6-linked derivatives exhibit a behavior typically found in PPV-type polymers. In the solid state, the PPV analogues show a more pronounced red-shift of the emission, which is assigned to the solid-state packing of the polymers. The polymers display deep blue electroluminescence and good color stability when tested in a polymer light emitting device. The formation of long wavelength emission bands, typically attributed to keto defects, is not observed. Additionally, 2,7- and 3,6-linked tris(phenanthrylene)s are synthesized as model compounds and their optical properties discussed in comparison with their polymer analogues.
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- ECHE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.