Cathode catalyst layer using supported Pt catalyst on ordered mesoporous carbon for direct methanol fuel cell
Cited 26 times inCited 27 times in
- Cathode catalyst layer using supported Pt catalyst on ordered mesoporous carbon for direct methanol fuel cell
- Kim, Hee-Tak; You, Dae Jong; Yoon, Hae-Kwon; Joo, Sang Hoon; Pak, Chanho; Chang, Hyuk; Song, In-Seob
- Agglomerate; Direct methanol fuel cell; Fuel cell catalyst; Membrane electrode assembly; Ordered mesoporous carbon; Power density
- Issue Date
- ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV
- JOURNAL OF POWER SOURCES, v.180, no.2, pp.724 - 732
- The development of a cathode catalyst layer based on a supported Pt catalyst using an ordered mesoporous carbon (OMC) for direct methanol fuel cell is reported. An OMC with a mesopore structure between hexagonally arranged carbon nanorods is prepared using a template method. Platinum nanoparticles are supported on the OMC (Pt/OMC) with high metal loading of 60 wt.%. Compositional and morphological variations are made by varying the ionomer content and by compressing the catalyst layer to detect a parameter that determines the power performance. Increase in power density with decrease in the volume fraction of ionomer in the agglomerate comprising the Pt/OMC and the ionomer indicates that mass transport through the ionomer phase governs the kinetics of oxygen reduction. Impedance spectroscopic analysis suggests that a significant mass-transport limitation occurs at high ionomer content and in the compressed cathode. The power density of the optimum cathode layer, which employs a Pt/OMC catalyst with a Pt loading of 2 mg cm -2, is greater than that of a catalyst layer with 6 mg cm -2 Pt-black catalyst at a voltage higher than 0.4 V. This would lead to a significant reduction in the cost of the membrane electrode assembly.
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- ECHE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.