Instabilities and pattern transformation in periodic, porous elastoplastic solid coatings
Cited 22 times inCited 20 times in
- Instabilities and pattern transformation in periodic, porous elastoplastic solid coatings
- Singamaneni, Srikanth; Bertoldi, Katia; Chang, Sehoon; Jang, Ji-Hyun; Thomas, Edwin L.; Boyce, Mary C.; Tsukruk, Vladimir V.
- buckling behavior; interference lithography structures; mechanical instabilities; pattern transformation
- Issue Date
- AMER CHEMICAL SOC
- ACS APPLIED MATERIALS & INTERFACES, v.1, no.1, pp.42 - 47
- Pattern transformation in periodic microporous elastoplastic solid coatings is caused by a buckling of the struts and a rotation of the nodes under compressive stresses. The results of a nonlinear numerical investigation confirm the critical role of the bifurcation of the periodic solid under compressive stresses. In striking contrast to the earlier observations of elastic instabilities in porous elastomeric solids, the elastic-plastic nature of the cross-linked periodic microstructure studied here provides the ability to lock in the transformed pattern with complete relaxation of the internal stresses. The study unveils a novel deformation mode in porous periodic solids in the form of organized buckling instability of weak strut elements.
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- ECHE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.