Thermally stable Pt/mesoporous silica core-shell nanocatalysts for high-temperature reactions
Cited 481 times inCited 438 times in
- Thermally stable Pt/mesoporous silica core-shell nanocatalysts for high-temperature reactions
- Joo, Sang Hoon; Park, Jeong Young; Tsung, CK; Yamada, Yusuke; Yang, Peidong; Somorjai, Gabor A
- Issue Date
- NATURE PUBLISHING GROUP
- NATURE MATERIALS, v.8, no.2, pp.126 - 131
- Recent advances in colloidal synthesis enabled the precise control of the size, shape and composition of catalytic metal nanoparticles, enabling their use as model catalysts for systematic investigations of the atomic-scale properties affecting catalytic activity and selectivity. The organic capping agents stabilizing colloidal nanoparticles, however, often limit their application in high-temperature catalytic reactions. Here, we report the design of a high-temperature-stable model catalytic system that consists of a Pt metal core coated with a mesoporous silica shell (Pt@mSiO"2). Inorganic silica shells encaged the Pt cores up to 750°C in air and the mesopores providing direct access to the Pt core made the Pt@mSiO"2 nanoparticles as catalytically active as bare Pt metal for ethylene hydrogenation and CO oxidation. The high thermal stability of Pt@mSiO"2 nanoparticles enabled high-temperature CO oxidation studies, including ignition behaviour, which was not possible for bare Pt nanoparticles because of their deformation or aggregation. The results suggest that the Pt@mSiO"2 nanoparticles are excellent nanocatalytic systems for high-temperature catalytic reactions or surface chemical processes, and the design concept used in the Pt@mSiO"2 core-shell catalyst can be extended to other metal/metal oxide compositions.
- Appears in Collections:
- CHM_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.