Hyperbranched polyphenylquinoxalines from self-polymerizable AB(2) and A(2)B monomers
Cited 25 times inCited 21 times in
- Hyperbranched polyphenylquinoxalines from self-polymerizable AB(2) and A(2)B monomers
- Baek, Jong-Beom; Harris, FW
- Aromatic bisphenolate salts; Light harvesting; Polyphenylquinoxalines (PPQ); Transport layers
- Issue Date
- AMER CHEMICAL SOC
- MACROMOLECULES, v.38, no.2, pp.297 - 306
- A self-polymerizable AB 2 monomer, 2,3-bis(4-hydroxyphenyl)-6-fluoroquinoxaline, and an A 2B monomer, 2,3-bis(4-fluorophenyl)-6-(4-hydrcixyphenoxy)quinoxaline) were prepared and polymerized to afford phenol-terminated and aryl fluoride terminated, hyperbranched polyphenylquinoxalines (HPPQs), respectively. MALDI-TOF analysis showed that intramolecular cyclization was a dominant process for the low molecular weight portion during the polymerizations. After isolation and complete dryness, the phenol-terminated HPPQ 1 was only soluble in strong organic acids, while the aryl fluoride terminated HPPQ 2 was soluble in most common organic solvents. HPPQ 1 was treated with allyl bromide to afford an allyl ether terminated HPPQ 3, which was also soluble in most organic solvents. Intrinsic viscosity measurements and SEC analysis indicated that HPPQ 2 had a much higher M w and a much broader molecular weight distribution (PDI ∼ 60) than HPPQ 1 and HPPQ 3 (PDI ∼ 4). The results also suggested that HPPQ 1 formed aggregates in solution and that HPPQ 2 had a much more extended and open conformation. All the HPPQs, which were highly fluorescent, had UV absorption maxima near 375 nm in THF. However, the wavelength of their emission maxima, which ranged from 424 to 466 nm, depended on their end groups.
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- ECHE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.