Photoelectrochemical Nitrate Reduction to Ammonia on Ordered Silicon Nanowire Array Photocathodes
Cited 0 times inCited 0 times in
- Photoelectrochemical Nitrate Reduction to Ammonia on Ordered Silicon Nanowire Array Photocathodes
- Kim, Hyo Eun; Kim, Jeehye; Ra, Eun Cheol; Zhang, Hemin; Jang, Youn Jeong; Lee, Jae Sung
- Issue Date
- WILEY-V C H VERLAG GMBH
- ANGEWANDTE CHEMIE-INTERNATIONAL EDITION, v.61, no.25, pp.e202204117
- As a new path to "green" ammonia production, photoelectrochemical nitrate reduction reaction (PEC NO3RR) is investigated for the first time. An Au-decorated ordered silicon nanowire (O_SiNW) array photocathode demonstrates 95.6 % of Faradaic efficiency (FE) to ammonia at 0.2 V-RHE, which represents a more positive potential than the thermodynamic reduction potential of nitrate by utilizing photovoltage. The high FE is possible because both Si and Au surfaces are inactive for competing water reduction to hydrogen. The O_SiNW array structure is favorable to promote the PEC NO3RR relative to planar Si or randomly-grown Si nanowire, by enabling the uniform distribution of small Au nanoparticles as an electrocatalyst and facilitating the mass transport during the reaction. The results demonstrate the feasibility of PEC nitrate conversion to ammonia and would motivate further studies and developments.
- Appears in Collections:
- ECHE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.