Extracellular Vesicle Uptake Assay via Confocal Microscope Imaging Analysis
Cited 0 times inCited 0 times in
- Extracellular Vesicle Uptake Assay via Confocal Microscope Imaging Analysis
- Kim, Chi-Ju; Kuczler, Morgan D.; Dong, Liang; Kim, Junyoung; Amend, Sarah R.; Cho, Yoon-Kyoung; Pienta, Kenneth J.
- Issue Date
- JOURNAL OF VISUALIZED EXPERIMENTS
- JOVE-JOURNAL OF VISUALIZED EXPERIMENTS, v.2022, no.180, pp.e62836
- There is a need for practical assays to visualize and quantify the cells' extracellular vesicle (EV) uptake. EV uptake plays a role in intercellular communication in various research fields; cancer biology, neuroscience, and drug delivery. Many EV uptake assays have been reported in the literature; however, there is a lack of practical, detailed experimental methodology. EV uptake can be assessed by fluorescently labeling EVs to detect their location within cells. Distinguishing between internalized EVs in cells and the superficial EVs on cells is difficult, yet critical, to accurately determine the EV uptake. Therefore, an assay that efficiently quantifies EV uptake through three-dimensional (3D) fluorescence confocal microscopy is proposed in this work. Fluorescently labeled EVs were prepared using a nano-filtration-based microfluidic device, visualized by 3D confocal microscopy, and then analyzed through advanced image-processing software. The protocol provides a robust methodology for analyzing EVs on a cellular level and a practical approach for efficient analysis.
- Appears in Collections:
- BME_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.