Efficiency of air-dried and freeze-dried alginate/xanthan beads in batch, recirculating and column adsorption processes
Cited 0 times inCited 0 times in
- Efficiency of air-dried and freeze-dried alginate/xanthan beads in batch, recirculating and column adsorption processes
- Kondaveeti, Stalin; Petri, Denise F. S.; Jeong, Hoon Eui
- Issue Date
- INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF BIOLOGICAL MACROMOLECULES, v.204, pp.345 - 355
- Alginate (Alg) beads are low-cost adsorbents used for wastewater remediation. In this work, alginate (Alg) and alginate/xanthan (Alg/XG) blend beads were synthesized by gelation method into calcium chloride and freezedried to improve the porosity. Their adsorption efficiency was tested for methylene blue (MB) dye in batch, recirculating and column adsorption systems. The blend beads were characterized using by SEM, FTIR-ATR and X-ray microcomputer tomography (Micro-CT) analyzes. Freeze-dried Alg and Alg/XG beads presented porosity of 46 +/-& nbsp;5% and 77 & nbsp;+/- 3%, respectively. Adsorption isotherms of MB on freeze-dried Alg/XG beads indicated better adsorption capacity in comparison to the air-dried ones. Adsorption kinetics and breakthrough curves based on recirculating and vertical column adsorption processes of MB on freeze dried Alg/XG and air-dried Alg/XG beads indicated higher efficiency for the vertical column system packed with freeze dried Alg/XG beads. The removal efficiency of 91% MB by the freeze-dried Alg/XG beads in vertical column remained even after four consecutive adsorption-desorption cycles, disclosing these beads as potential systems for the wastewater treatment.
- Appears in Collections:
- MEN_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.