Development of integrated protection for a miniaturized drug delivery system
Cited 7 times inCited 11 times in
- Development of integrated protection for a miniaturized drug delivery system
- Tsai, Han-Kuan A.; Ma, Kuo-Sheng; Wang, Chong; Xu, Han; Wang, Chunlei; Zoval, Jim; Kulinsky, Lawrence; Madou, Mark
- MICROACTUATORS; MICROSPHERES; FABRICATION; RELEASE; CHIP
- Issue Date
- IOP PUBLISHING LTD
- SMART MATERIALS AND STRUCTURES, v.16, no.2, pp.S295 - S299
- A bi-layer structure comprising a thin gold layer and a polypyrrole (PPy) film is developed as a valve. To create such structures, the thin metal layer is used as a working electrode, and the polypyrrole film is electrochemically deposited on the metal electrode. A layer of Cr deposited under a stationary part of the bi-layer flap adheres strongly to the gold layer and anchors the hinge of the flap, while the layer of polyimide deposited under a movable part of the flap adheres weakly to the gold layer of the flap. This bi-layer flap structure functions as an actuator valve for the opening and closing of an aperture. The actuation mechanism of the valve is based on a volume change in the PPy layer as cations move in and out of the polymer film during reduction and oxidation reactions. A bias of 1.2 V is used to actuate the flap. A method is proposed to increase the drug release system's functionality by placing the drug release flap within a protective enclosure that also serves as a drug reservoir. This integrated protection ensures reliable operation of the drug release flap unencumbered by surrounding tissues when used in vivo. A prototype system using a PDMS drug reservoir has been successfully tested in PBS buffer solution. The proposed integrated protection system holds promise for implantable biomedical devices.
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- BME_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.