O-GlcNAc modification modulates the expression of osteocalcin via OSE2 and Runx2
Cited 9 times inCited 10 times in
- O-GlcNAc modification modulates the expression of osteocalcin via OSE2 and Runx2
- Kim, Sun-Hee; Kim, Yun-Hee; Song, Minseok; An, Sang Hee; Byun, Ha-Young; Heo, Kyun; Lim, Seyoung; Oh, Young-Seok; Ryu, Sung Ho; Suh, Pann-Ghill
- O-GlcNAc; OSE2; Osteoblast; Osteocalcin; Runx2
- Issue Date
- ACADEMIC PRESS INC ELSEVIER SCIENCE
- BIOCHEMICAL AND BIOPHYSICAL RESEARCH COMMUNICATIONS, v.362, no.2, pp.325 - 329
- O-Linked β-N-acetylglucosamine (O-GlcNAc) modification, a reversible post-translational modification, has been implicated in the regulation of protein stability, subcellular localization of proteins and protein-protein interaction. Here, we demonstrate that O-GlcNAc modification regulates the expression of osteocalcin, an osteoblast-specific marker, via Runx2 transcriptional activity in osteoblastic differentiation. Protein-associated O-GlcNAc was increased during osteoblastic differentiation in MC3T3-E1 preosteoblasts. In addition, PUGNAc, an inhibitor of O-GlcNAcase, potentiated the expression of osteocalcin caused by ascorbic acid, parathyroid hormone (PTH) and forskolin. By conducting activity assays of the osteocalcin promoter and transcription factor, we found that the OSE2 site in the osteocalcin promoter and Runx2 were important for increased osteocalcin promoter activity by PUGNAc. Furthermore, PUGNAc led to increased O-GlcNAc modification of Runx2, which regulated the transcription of its target gene osteocalcin. Thus, these data provide evidence that O-GlcNAc modification may be a new mode of osteoblastic differentiation regulation.
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- BME_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.