Three-dimensional CFD simulation of proton exchange membrane water electrolyser: Performance assessment under different condition
Cited 0 times inCited 0 times in
- Three-dimensional CFD simulation of proton exchange membrane water electrolyser: Performance assessment under different condition
- Upadhyay, Mukesh; Kim, Ayeon; Paramanantham, SalaiSargunan S.; Kim, Heehyang; Lim, Dongjun; Lee, Sunyoung; Moon, Sangbong; Lim, Hankwon
- Issue Date
- Pergamon Press Ltd.
- APPLIED ENERGY, v.306, pp.118016
- Hydrogen produced by the electrochemical water splitting is essential for expanding and utilizing renewable power sources and establishing a sustainable energy society. As renewable energy network widely established, the produced hydrogen can be utilized by connecting the energy demand and energy supply. The proton exchange membrane (PEM) water electrolyser technology is one of the ideal candidates for direct coupling with renewable energy sources. In recent years, bench-scale experiments, and computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulation-based approaches are used to accelerate the advances in performance and cost of the technology. We studied the influence of the key performance parameter of a PEM water electrolyser, and a single channel-based three-dimensional CFD model was developed. The PEM water electrolyser CFD model is validated against inhouse experiments, where the developed model successfully predicts the current-voltage polarization curve. The developed CFD model is then used to analyze the influence of temperature, cathode pressure, membrane thickness, porous transport layer porosity and water feed rate. The main observation from the numerical study was discussed to provide insight into the factors affecting the PEM water electrolyser performance.
- Appears in Collections:
- ECHE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.