Designing a naphthyridinedione-based conjugated polymer for thickness-tolerant high efficiency polymer solar cells
Cited 0 times inCited 0 times in
- Designing a naphthyridinedione-based conjugated polymer for thickness-tolerant high efficiency polymer solar cells
- Park, Jun-Mo; Lee, Tack Ho; Kim, Dong Won; Kim, Jae Won; Chung, Hae Yeon; Heo, Jungwoo; Park, Song Yi; Yoon, Won Sik; Kim, Jin Young; Park, Soo Young
- Issue Date
- ROYAL SOC CHEMISTRY
- JOURNAL OF MATERIALS CHEMISTRY A, v.9, no.17, pp.10846 - 10854
- Conjugated polymers with a high absorption coefficient and high charge mobility are essential for high power conversion efficiency (PCE) and large area roll-to-roll processing of polymer solar cells. However, only a few conjugated polymers with both properties have been reported so far. Recently, we have reported an innovative naphthyridinedione (NTD)-based highly crystalline polymer (PNTDT-2F2T) with an exceptionally high absorption coefficient (alpha = 1.6 x 10(5) cm(-1)) and charge mobility (mu(h) = 8.6 x 10(-3) cm(2) V-1 s(-1)), which showed 9.6% PCE with a thick active layer (210 nm). However, the PCE decreases considerably to 7.4% with a thin active layer (80 nm) due to a reduction in the photocurrent owing to the still smaller absorption coefficient and rather larger crystalline domain size of PNTDT-2F2T. To develop a thickness-tolerant high efficiency polymer solar cell aiming at low-cost commercial manufacture, we report a newly designed NTD-based conjugated polymer (PNTD4T-2FB) with an increased absorption coefficient and controlled crystallinity that contains 1,4-difluorobenzene units, in this work. The smaller crystal size (crystalline coherence length (CCL) = 2.20 nm) and higher absorption coefficient (alpha = 2.0 x 10(5) cm(-1)) of PNTD4T-2FB compared to those of PNTDT-2F2T (CCL = 3.19 nm) facilitate charge generation while maintaining a high carrier mobility (mu(h) = 2.92 x 10(-3) cm(2) V-1 s(-1)). Consequently, the PNTD4T-2FB based device shows improved PCE (10.1%) with a thicker active layer (330 nm) while keeping a PCE of 9.2% for an active layer of only 70 nm thickness as well. Comparative analysis with PNTD4T-B (which does not contain fluorine) suggests that the superior characteristics of PNTD4T-2FB are attributable to the slightly twisted but rigid backbone arising from the S-F intra-molecular non-bonding interaction between 1,2-difluorobenzene and thiophene.
- Appears in Collections:
- ECHE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.