Effect of preparation methods of LiNi1-xCoxO2 cathode materials on their chemical structure and electrode performance
Cited 116 times inCited 120 times in
- Effect of preparation methods of LiNi1-xCoxO2 cathode materials on their chemical structure and electrode performance
- Cho, Jaephil; Kim, G; Lim, HS
- SECONDARY LITHIUM CELLS; ELECTROCHEMICAL PERFORMANCE; LINIO2; DEINTERCALATION; LINI1/2CO1/2O2; R(3)OVER-BAR-M; OXIDES
- Issue Date
- ELECTROCHEMICAL SOC INC
- JOURNAL OF THE ELECTROCHEMICAL SOCIETY, v.146, no.10, pp.3571 - 3576
- We have studied effects of different starting materials on preparation of LiNi1-xCOxO2 cathode material for a Li-ion cell where x = 0.1, 0.2, and 0.3, and the electrochemical properties of resulting compounds from two different preparation methods. A preparation method (method B) which uses spherical powder of Ni1-xCox(OH)(2) as one of the starting material produced a much superior cathode material than the other method (method A) which uses Ni(OH)(2) and Co(OH)(2). Method A produced compounds with relatively high degrees of cation mixing which reduces electrochemical utilization (discharge capacity), increases irreversible capacity, and reduces stability on cycling of the cathode material. Method B, in contrast, produced cathode material with a much reduced degree of cation-mixing, thus improving the electrochemical properties. The spherical particle of material prepared by method B has the additional advantage of improved packing density of the electrode with improved volumetric energy density. The ratio of c/a was increased and the electrochemical stability on cycling of the material was improved as the content of Co (value of x) is increased.
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- ECHE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.