Deformation behavior of bimodal nanostructured 5083 Al alloys
Cited 106 times inCited 103 times in
- Deformation behavior of bimodal nanostructured 5083 Al alloys
- Han, BQ; Lee, Zonghoon; Witkin, D; Nutt, S; Lavernia, EJ
- Issue Date
- METALLURGICAL AND MATERIALS TRANSACTIONS A-PHYSICAL METALLURGY AND MATERIALS SCIENCE, v.36A, no.4, pp.957 - 965
- Cryomilled 5083 At alloys blended with volume fractions of 15, 30, and 50 pct unmilled 5083 At were produced by consolidation of a mixture of cryomilled 5083 At and Unmilled 5083 A] powders. A bimodal grain size was achieved in the as-extruded alloys in which nanostructured regions had a grain size of 200 nm and coarse-grained regions had a grain size of I mu m. Compression loading in the longitudinal direction resulted in elastic-perfectly plastic deformation behavior. An enhanced tensile elongation associated with the occurrence of a Luders band was observed in the bimodal alloys. As the volume fraction of coarse grains was increased, tensile ductility increased and strength decreased. Enhanced tensile ductility was attributed to the occurrence of crack bridging as well as delamination between nanostructured and coarse-grained regions during plastic deformation.
- Appears in Collections:
- MSE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.