Strong correlation between surface stress and mechanical strain in Cu, Ag and Au
Cited 0 times inCited 0 times in
- Strong correlation between surface stress and mechanical strain in Cu, Ag and Au
- Ho, Duc Tam; Park, Soon-Dong; Lee, Haengsoo; Kwon, Soon-Yong; Kim, Sung Youb
- Issue Date
- EDP Sciences
- EPL, v.106, no.3, pp.1 - 6
- The surface stress, in addition to the surface energy and elastic modulus, is a fundamental measure of the surface effects in a nanostructure. Here, we investigate the strong correlation between the surface stress and mechanical strain in three noble-metal (001) surfaces. For this investigation, we have developed a simple and efficient method to calculate the surface stress directly from the strained configurations in molecular statics simulations. While the surface stress of the copper (001) surface along the strained direction is almost constant, that of the gold (001) surface decreases drastically as the strain increases. We explain these different responses of the surface stress to strain in terms of the different surface relaxation occurring in different noble-metal nanoplates.
- Appears in Collections:
- MEN_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.