Systematic assessment of the anode flow field hydrodynamics in a new circular PEM water electrolyser
Cited 0 times inCited 0 times in
- Systematic assessment of the anode flow field hydrodynamics in a new circular PEM water electrolyser
- Upadhyay, Mukesh; Lee, Sunggeun; Jung, Seokjoo; Choi, Yunki; Moon, Sangbong; Lim, Hankwon
- Issue Date
- PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD
- INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HYDROGEN ENERGY, v.45, no.41, pp.20765 - 20775
- In this work, we investigated the key underlying flow characteristics of a circular unit cell proton exchange membrane (PEM) water electrolyser. In particular, we focused on investigating anode flow field design using computational fluid dynamics (CFD) tool. Transient, 3D single phase fluid flow simulation results were presented, and in-house experiments were conducted for validation against CFD simulation data identifying key performance parameters of the PEM water electrolyser: uniform water distribution, pressure drop and hydraulic retention time. The effects of the water flow rate, inlet and outlet sizing and different number of inlet and outlet configurations were considered. The main observation from the study was discussed to provide insight into the factors affecting the flow pattern. Among the studied flow field design cases, it was found that the average pressure drop decreased with increase in number of inlets, also flow profile can be grouped into different set, depending on number of inlets. The correlation between pressure drop and mean velocity profile for different inlet and outlet configurations provides a useful basis to properly design the high performance PEM water electrolyser. (C) 2020 Hydrogen Energy Publications LLC. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
- Appears in Collections:
- ECHE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.