Simultaneous control of vehicle routing and inventory for dynamic inbound supply chain
Cited 0 times inCited 0 times in
- Simultaneous control of vehicle routing and inventory for dynamic inbound supply chain
- Lee, Kiyoul; Cho, Hyunbo; Jung, Mooyoung
- Issue Date
- ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV
- COMPUTERS IN INDUSTRY, v.65, no.6, pp.1001 - 1008
- This paper investigates inbound logistics for an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturing) manufacturer, who aims at short production time and JIT policy. In such a case, it can be argued that the inbound vehicle routing schedule should be combined with incoming parts inventory control. In this paper, we propose a simultaneous control method of combining vehicle scheduling and inventory control for such dynamic inbound logistics. For the transportation control, a vehicle routing system, in which delivery jobs are made with shipments of one supplier, is proposed to generate a vehicle routes plan by considering production start time, travel time, waiting time, and loading/unloading time. To evaluate the performance of the generated vehicle routing plan, a goal model is also developed by considering vehicle operating cost, stock level exceeding penalty, and transportation efficiency. A generated vehicle routing plan can be rejected when the stock level is over the capacity and an appropriate number of vehicles for its manufacturing environment can be determined. Using real data from an LCD firm, a simulation study is conducted. The simulation results indicate that the simultaneous control approach requires fewer vehicles than the existing system and shows better efficiency of transportation. This method can also be used to determine the appropriate incoming part inventory level or the number of vehicles required in dynamic inbound logistics.
- Appears in Collections:
- SME_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.