Effects of an externally imposed electromagnetic field on the formation of a lubrication layer in concrete pumping
Cited 0 times inCited 0 times in
- Effects of an externally imposed electromagnetic field on the formation of a lubrication layer in concrete pumping
- Choi, Myoung Sung; Kim, Yu Seung; Kim, Jae Hong; Kim, Jeong-Su; Kwon, Seung Hee
- Issue Date
- ELSEVIER SCI LTD
- CONSTRUCTION AND BUILDING MATERIALS, v.61, pp.18 - 23
- During concrete pumping, a lubrication layer is formed at the interface between the concrete and the pipe. The pumpability highly depends on the characteristics of this layer. In this study, a method to enhance the pumpability by externally imposing an electromagnetic field on the pipe was suggested and experimentally verified. The electromagnetic field activates the free movement of the water molecules so that the layer is expected to become more slippery. Pumping tests with a 1000 m long pipeline were conducted with and without applying an electromagnetic field. When the electromagnetic field was imposed, the same discharge rate could be obtained with a 30% reduction in the pump pressure, and a 15% increase in the velocity under the same pump pressure was observed. The tests revealed that the imposition of an electromagnetic field was very effective in improving the pumpability.
- Appears in Collections:
- UEE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.