Exploring the Connectome Petascale Volume Visualization of Microscopy Data Streams
Cited 4 times inCited 1 times in
- Exploring the Connectome Petascale Volume Visualization of Microscopy Data Streams
- Beyer, Johanna; Hadwiger, Markus; Al-Awami, Ali; Jeong, Won-Ki; Kasthuri, Narayanan; Lichtman, Jeff W.; Pfister, Hanspeter
- High-resolution microscopy; High-Throughput Imaging; Interactive exploration; Interactive rates; Neural structures; neuroscience; Volume data; Volume visualization
- Issue Date
- IEEE COMPUTER SOC
- IEEE COMPUTER GRAPHICS AND APPLICATIONS, v.33, no.4, pp.50 - 61
- Recent advances in high-resolution microscopy let neuroscientists acquire neural-tissue volume data of extremely large sizes. However, the tremendous resolution and the high complexity of neural structures present big challenges to storage, processing, and visualization at interactive rates. A proposed system provides interactive exploration of petascale (petavoxel) volumes resulting from high-throughput electron microscopy data streams. The system can concurrently handle multiple volumes and can support the simultaneous visualization of high-resolution voxel segmentation data. Its visualization-driven design restricts most computations to a small subset of the data. It employs a multiresolution virtual-memory architecture for better scalability than previous approaches and for handling incomplete data. Researchers have employed it for a 1-teravoxel mouse cortex volume, of which several hundred axons and dendrites as well as synapses have been segmented and labeled.
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- ECE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.