Investigation and Improvement of 90 degrees Direct Bends of Metal-Insulator-Silicon-Insulator-Metal Waveguides
Cited 2 times inCited 0 times in
- Investigation and Improvement of 90 degrees Direct Bends of Metal-Insulator-Silicon-Insulator-Metal Waveguides
- Shin, Jin-Soo; Kwon, Min-Suk; Lee, Chang-Hee; Shin, Sang-Yung
- Plasmonics; silicon nanophotonics; subwavelength structure; waveguides
- Issue Date
- IEEE-INST ELECTRICAL ELECTRONICS ENGINEERS INC
- IEEE PHOTONICS JOURNAL, v.5, no.5, pp.1 - 9
- We investigate 90\circ direct bends of metal-insulator-silicon- insulator-metal (MISIM) waveguides, which are hybrid plasmonic waveguides with replaceable insulators. First, we fabricate them using fully standard CMOS technology and characterize them. The experimental excess loss of the two consecutive 90circ direct bends is 11, 7.4, and 4.5 dB when the width of the Si line of the MISIM waveguide is about 160, 190, and 220 nm, respectively. Second, we analyze the experimental results using the 3-D finite-difference time-domain method. Through the analysis, we investigate possible loss mechanisms of the 90 circ direct bend, which have not been studied to our knowledge. It has been found that the Si lines should be narrow to reduce the excess losses of the 90 circ direct bends. However, the wide Si lines are better for ease of fabrication and for small propagation losses. Finally, we demonstrate a modified low-loss 90 circ direct bend of the MISIM waveguide with a wide Si line.
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- EE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.