Quadratic Depletion Method for Gadolinium Isotopes in CASMO-5
Cited 0 times inCited 0 times in
- Quadratic Depletion Method for Gadolinium Isotopes in CASMO-5
- Lee, Deokjung; Rhodes, Joel; Smith, Kord
- Absorption cross sections; Absorption reactions; Calculation time; Depletion calculation; Number density; Predictor corrector; Quadratic function; Shielding effect
- Issue Date
- AMER NUCLEAR SOC
- NUCLEAR SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING, v.174, no.1, pp.79 - 86
- The huge absorption cross sections of'55Gd and 157Gd cause strong spatial shielding effects in Gd-bearing pins. A high-order depletion method has been developed for CASMO-5 to address the issue of the small depletion steps typically required for Gd-bearing fuel assemblies. In this method, the microscopic absorption reaction rates of gadolinium isotopes are assumed to be quadratic functions of the number density of'55Gd rather than the constant reaction rale assumption in the conventional predictor-corrector (PC) method. This quadratic function assumption models the variations of the spatial shielding effects over the depletion step and therefore improves the accuracy of depletion calculations with a negligible amount of calculation time increase. With this new method, a depletion step size four times larger than the step size used in a conventional PC method can be used for Gd-bearing assemblies without compromising accuracy.
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- MNE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.