Synergistic effects of TiO 2 photocatalysis in combination with Fenton-like reactions on oxidation of organic compounds at circumneutral pH
Cited 14 times inCited 10 times in
- Synergistic effects of TiO 2 photocatalysis in combination with Fenton-like reactions on oxidation of organic compounds at circumneutral pH
- Kim, Hyung-Eun; Lee, Jaesang; Lee, Hongshin; Lee, Changha
- Benzoic acid; Charge separations; Combined system; Dual role; Electron acceptor; Electron transfer; Fenton likes; Fenton reactions; Fenton reagents; Hydroxyl radical; Neutral pH; Organic substrate; pH value; Reaction routes; Synergistic effect; Tert-butyl alcohols; TiO; Valence-band holes
- Issue Date
- ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV
- APPLIED CATALYSIS B-ENVIRONMENTAL, v.115, no., pp.219 - 224
- The integration of two different AOPs often offers synergistic reaction routes for the production of (OH)-O-center dot. In this study, synergistic production of (OH)-O-center dot was observed in the combined system of TiO2 photocatalysis and the Fenton-like reaction, causing a drastic enhancement in the oxidation of organic compounds at circumneutral pH values. The photolytic experiments using organic substrates (i.e., phenol, benzoic acid, and methanol) and valence band hole and (OH)-O-center dot scavengers (i.e., formate and tert-butyl alcohol) show that the synergistic effects result from dual roles of iron as an electron acceptor to facilitate charge separation in TiO2 photocatalyst and as a Fenton reagent to catalyze conversion of H2O2 into (OH)-O-center dot. A noteworthy observation is that the adsorption of iron onto the photoexcited TiO2 surface possibly modifies electron transfer properties of iron toward H2O2 at neutral pH to convert the resultant reactive oxidant from Fe(IV) into a stronger form, likely (OH)-O-center dot.
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- UEE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.