Increased time-dependent room temperature plasticity in metallic glass nanopillars and its size-dependency
Cited 0 times inCited 9 times in
- Increased time-dependent room temperature plasticity in metallic glass nanopillars and its size-dependency
- Yoo, Byung-Gil; Kim, Ju-Young; Kim, Yong-Jae; Choi, In-Chul; Shim, Sanghoon; Tsui, Ting Y.; Bei, Hongbin; Ramamurty, Upadrasta; Jang, Jae-il
- Applied stress; Linear relation; Nanomechanical property; NanoPillar; Nanopillars; Plastic deformation behavior; Quasi-static; Room temperature; Room-temperature plasticity; Sample sizes; Size effects; Size-Dependency; Stress exponents; Surface-to-volume ratio; Time-dependent; Total strain; Uni-axial compression; Zr based bulk metallic glass
- Issue Date
- PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD
- INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF PLASTICITY, v.37, no., pp.108 - 118
- Room temperature, uniaxial compression creep experiments were performed on micro-/nano-sized pillars (having diameters in the range of 250-2000 nm) of a Zr-based bulk metallic glass (BMG) to investigate the influence of sample size on the time-dependent plastic deformation behavior in amorphous alloys. Experimental results reveal that plastic deformation indeed occurs at ambient temperature and at stresses that are well below the nominal quasi-static yield stress. At a given stress, higher total strains accrue in the smaller specimens. In all cases, plastic deformation was found to be devoid of shear bands, i.e., it occurs in homogeneous manner. The stress exponent obtained from the slope of the linear relation between strain rate and applied stress also shows a strong size effect, which is rationalized in terms of the amount of free volume created during deformation and the surface-to-volume ratio of the pillar.
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- MSE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.