Lab-on-a-Disc for Simultaneous Determination of Nutrients in Water
Cited 0 times inCited 7 times in
- Lab-on-a-Disc for Simultaneous Determination of Nutrients in Water
- Hwang, Hyundoo; Kim, Yubin; Cho, Juhye; Lee, Ji-yoon; Choi, Man-Sik; Cho, Yoon-Kyoung
- Issue Date
- AMER CHEMICAL SOC
- ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY, v.85, no.5, pp.2954 - 2960
- In this study, we describe a novel platform based on centrifugal microfluidics for simultaneous determination of nitrite, nitrate and nitrite, ammonium, orthophosphate, and silicate in water samples. All processes from sample metering to detection were integrated and automatically conducted on a rotating disc-shaped device. Fluid transfer was controlled by laser irradiation on the ferrowax-based microvalves. Liquid samples and reagents were pumped by centrifugal force in the rotating disc, and their positions and movements were controlled through a programmable light from a laser diode. This novel water analysis platform required only 500 mu L of sample (100 mu L for each nutrient) and 10-30 mu L of reagents for colorimetric detection. In addition, the fully automated parallel processes and efficient mixing in the rotating disc allowed for a significant reduction in total analysis time (similar to 7 min 40 s) and increased accuracy. Validation with a seawater certified reference material indicated that the platform accurately measured nutrient concentrations in water samples. In addition, we showed that the nutrients in the seawater collected from Chunsu Bay in Korea measured by the proposed lab-on-a-disc and by a commercialized autoanalyzer are comparable.
- Appears in Collections:
- BME_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.